REGULAR SUBMISSIONS OPEN UNTIL 31 JULY
Rio Webfest takes place on November in the wonderful city of Rio de Janeiro. We have festival partners from all around the globe, including Los Angeles, Copenhagen, Marseille, Bilbao, Sicily, Rome, Melbourne, Berlin, Seoul!
Join the webfest celebration in Rio de Janeiro and get together for some caipirinhas and coconut water on our beautiful beaches!
Some of our main attractions:
- CASH AWARDS!
- SUPER PROJECT: pitching sessions and business meetings with international producers.
- SILVER TICKETS: Direct official selection to other web fest partners of the Web Fest International Circuit.
- GOLDEN TICKET: Direct official selection to other web fest partners (including plane ticket and accommodation paid).
- BUSINESS ROUNDS with representatives of Brazil's TV Channel such as Canal Curta!.
- KEYNOTES from university professors about the web video in Brazil and abroad.
- PANELS with creators from Brazil and abroad.
- SCREENING SESSIONS of web series.
- CLOSED PARTIES and special events for festival participants only.
- RED CARPET and AWARDS SHOW broadcasted online.
Let us help you share your work with the world!
Best Brazilian Series - R$ 1.500,00
Best International Series - R$ 1.500,00
Popular Vote - R$ 1.000,00
Web Pilot - R$ 500,00
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How much is the submission fee?
USD 30.00 for web series, podcasts or vlogs produced outside Brazil (until April 30th).
USD 50.00 for web series, podcasts or vlogs produced outside Brazil (until July 31st).
USD 65.00 for web series, podcasts or vlogs produced outside Brazil (until September 12th).
USD 20.00 for trailers, web ads, music or dance videos produced outside Brazil (until April 30th).
USD 25.00 for trailers, web ads, music or dance videos produced outside Brazil (until July 31st).
USD 30.00 for trailers, web ads, music or dance videos produced outside Brazil (until September 12th).
USD 25.00 for pitching projects for the Super Project (until October 15th).
USD 25.00 for ideas to shoot a web series pilot during the festival days (until October 15th).
How do I submit my work?
Just click on the links on the end of this section for submiting your web series, vlog, trailers, web ads, dance or music videos, project for business meetings or an idea for a web pilot to shoot during the festival days.
If you are brazilian and did your work in Brazil, please head out for the brazilian version of this site to pay in Brazilian Reais.
Why is there a submission fee?
Main cinema, television and web series festivals around the world are paid (including Sundance and Emmy). It is the way we have to produce the event. But don't worry: if your work is selected, you get a passport to attend all lectures, masterclasses and workshops at the festival for free and one ticket for the opening and awards ceremony.
If my work is not selected, will you return my submission fee?
Unfortunately, there are no refunds.
My web series already participated in last year's festival. Can I join again?
Yes, because every year we will have a different jury.
My web series has only one chapter or has not been filmed yet. Can I participate?
The minimum number for a product to be considered a web series is two episodes. They have to be ready at the time of registration. If you have a project, you can't participate as a web series, but you can submit for the SUPER PROJECT.
Is there a duration limit on the episodes submitted?
No, there are no duration limit for your submitted show. However, if it gets in the official selection and you want it to be screened at the festival, you need to send us a video with the maximum duration of 10 minutes.
How does the official selection process and awards of the festival works?
The festival staff reviews the submissions, watch the uploaded videos and selects the nominees for each category. The official selection list will be posted on our website and social media. During the event, our national and international jury will select the winners for each award. You can submit on this website your webseries, trailer, web ad, music or dance video or via Film Freeway.
I read in the regulations that English subtitles are mandatory, even for English speaking shows. How does it work?
As the festival staff is bilingual, there is no need to subtitle the submitted episodes in English to participate in the official selection. However, if your web series is nominated for an award, you must send copies with English subtitles so the international jury can evaluate your work, even if it is spoken in the English language.
I do not have a webseries. Can I come to the festival to watch the screenings and make contacts?
Of course you can! Our festival will be held in Cidade das Artes (City of Arts), a gigantic complex near the beautiful beaches of Barra da Tijuca, in the West Zone of Rio de Janeiro. The festival attractions, except the opening and awards ceremonies, are free so everyone can participate. The venue is safe, it has a paid parking lot and is right next to the Alvorada bus terminal, with easy access via bus or BRT.
What is trailer and web ad categories?
This year, we opened the trailer and web advertising categories. If you do not wish to submit with your whole series or if it is not ready yet, you can compete only with the trailer and pay less on the submission fee. Web ads are for advertising videos made especially for the internet. We believe that the web requires a different language from conventional TV and the commercials made to be watched mainly through digital platforms like facebook and youtube need recognition!
What is the minimum age to participate?
The event has a minimum rating of 14 years age to participate. Minors can go with their parents.
SUPER PROJECT and WEB PILOT
What is the SUPER PROJECT?
In addition to the cash awards, the festival offers submitters the opportunity to meet with international and national producers. Remember that filling out the project application form and paying the fee does not guarantee a seat in business sessions. Only projects selected by the festival will have this opportunity.
Do I need a script for the SUPER PROJECT?
At the time of submission, it is required only a short synopsis of the project, the main plot, a brief description of the main characters, a quick biography from you and some portfolio.
For business sessions, it would be nice to have a pilot's script already outlined and take a short video of no more than 2 minutes to demonstrate your production capabilities. It is important to highlight that all conditions for a potential deal will be discussed directly with the players, the festival only provides the meeting.
What is Web Pilot?
Web Pilot is a chance for creators who have neither a webseries nor anything on filmed, but have a great idea for a pilot that they would like to shoot from the first to the second day of the festival. To apply, you must fill out the application form, pay the fee, and we will select teams to film during the festival days.
How will it work?
During the indicated period, the selected teams will have to film, edit and deliver their pilots with a maximum length of 2 minutes, by the deadline of 5pm on Friday, the second day of the festival. It's important to remember that they must use their own equipment, such as cameras, editing equipment, costumes, lighting, etc. and their own crew of actors, directors, costume designers, etc. The festival is not responsible for providing any equipment or crew members to help them realize their ideas.
Rio Webfest will indicate three MUST-HAVE itens that must be included in the WebPilot, thus ensuring that all those selected have the same conditions and timeline for the filming.
WEBPILOT GENERAL GUIDELINES
- Each selected idea will have to produce its pilot episode (including script creation, footage recording, and editing).
- The episodes must be delivered online, via e-mail [email protected], wetransfer, dropbox or cloud service or similar by 5pm on Friday, second day of the festival.
- The maximum length of the episode is 2min, including credits. There is no minimum length.
- Pilots submitted correctly and on time will be shown during the Rio Webfest. The winner will be revealed during the Rio Webfest Awards, on Sunday.
- The festival is not responsible for, nor does it provide any equipment or team members to help them realize their ideas.
- Rio Webfest will indicate three MUST-HAVE notes that must be included in the WebPilot, thus ensuring that all those selected will have the same conditions and schedule for the filming.
- The teams are responsible for the equipment, personnel, and any costs involved in the production of their pilots.
- All materials used in the videos, such as soundtracks and artwork, for example, must be licensed by the rights holder.
- Respecting current health protocols, in the this Web Pilot edition, it will not be mandatory that the filming be done at Cidade das Artes.
9.1 - There is the possibility of flexibility, regarding filming at Cidade das Artes, which must be conquered and ascertained during the week of the festival. Those interested should consult the organization of the event.
- To be eligible for the award, the pilot episodes must have all their scenes recorded during the festival days, as well as contain the mandatory notes that will be sent to the creators the day before the date set for the shooting.
- Videos submitted after the deadline will not compete for the festival's cash prize.
- To promote equality among the candidates, the projects classified for the Super Project and Web Pilot will not be able to participate in the Creators Panel. However, there will be plenty of spaces for creators to showcase their projects and talk about their ideas.
- Enjoy the Rio Webfest program, many activities have an instrumental character and dialogue with the practice of filmmaking.
Rules & Terms
We are looking for all kinds of web series.
To be able to compete, a web series must have at least two episodes released or ready to be viewed by festival selectors by the time of the submission deadline. There is no duration limit for each episode in the submission and web series that participated in our past editions can also participate this year, since we have a different jury every year.
Creators are welcome to submit as many web series as they want, but each one requires one submission fee.
Any non-English or non-Brazilian Portuguese language web series must have subtitles in English and/or in Brazilian Portuguese available by the time of the submission. If your series is officially selected, YOU MUST PROVIDE English subtitles for the screening copies.
Although there is no duration limit for submitting, the screening time limit for each selected web series is 10 minutes (including credits). You are allowed to either send an shorter episode with a total running time of no more than 10 minutes or and edited reel of two or three episodes, if your chapters are really short.
Music Videos and Dance Videos are also welcome in our festival.
Selected entries are required to provide a high resolution copy of the screening episode(s) encoded in .mp4 or .mov files in 1080p, h264, max 20mbps bitrate, NTSC or PAL. Please double check your screening files before sending.
Regulations and Procedures
1. Rio Web Fest will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on mid November.
2. Submission Deadlines: Submissions are open from February 1st until no later than September 1st. Official selections will be announced in September 15th.
3. Submission Format: For Web Series, a minimum of 2 episodes must be submitted online. For Trailers, Web ads, Music and Dance Videos, just the link for the video will be enough. You can submit on our website your series, trailer, web ad, music or dance video or via FilmFreeway.
4. Submission Eligibility: All projects produced anytime and anywhere in the world with a two episodes minimum for series or one video for the rest are eligible for submission. Web series that participated in our earlier editions are still eligible, since we have different jury every year.
5. Submission Fee: All FilmFreeway submissions for Rio Web Fest must be paid by credit card. The submission fee is non-refundable.
6. Selection of Web Series: Submissions are reviewed and selected under the following criteria: quality of narrative and production, acting, originality, cinematography, sound and other technical categories. Official selections will be announced on October 4th and the results will be informed by email. Nominees should send digital files for screening encoded in .mp4 or .mov files in 1080p, h264, max 10mbps bitrate, NTSC or PAL.
7. Official selections MUST PROVIDE English subtitles for the screening copies, regardless of the original language of your show.
8. Screenings are scheduled during the festival under the criterion of Rio Webfest. Whilst every effort will be made to fulfil the published schedule, we reserve the right to make changes at any time for any reason and we'll not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in scheduling.
9. Filmmakers can submit as many web series as they want.
10. The festival is sovereign in its decisions regarding the distribution of prizes, trophies and laurels and is free to modify them if necessary, for reasons of "force majeure", keeping that resolution always as a last resort, to be used only if all the alternatives are exhausted.
11. The Silver Tickets (direct selection of partner festivals) and Golden Tickets (free flight and hotel to partner festivals) are courtesies exchanged between festivals and therefore are responsibility of the partner festival, and not of Rio Webfest organization. We cannot be held accountable if a partner festival ceases to exist or cancel the prize on their behalf, due to any reason whatsoever.
12. All submitters declare themselves as responsible for the rights of all contents of their episodes in the act of submission. For example, soundtrack, logo and images. In case of the true rights holder inquires about the unauthorised use of his creation, the festival will not be responsible for it.
13. The creator is also responsible for well functioning of the episode links sent to curators during the entire submission period, from the submission date until the official selection.
14. During the awards show, the winner trophies will be given to anyone representing the series, all exceptions must be specifically asked in writing before the festival starts. If you are not present at the awards show, we can still send your trophy by mail afterwards, as long as you can cover the shipping costs.
15. Payment of the submission fee and filling out the submission form does not mean that your web series will be automatically nominated for an award or that you'll be eligible for the pitching sessions. The festival will preselect the series for the awards nominations and preselect projects to participate in the pitching sessions.
16. All CASH PRIZES will be paid only via Paypal account transfer up till one month after the awards show is over. Paypal taxes and fees are also responsibility of the prize winner.
17. If you plan on attending personally to the festival, please note that Brazil requires a TOURIST VISA for citizens of specific countries. Please check out if your country is on the list and how to require your visa at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Brazil#Tourist_visa.
18. Complimentary invitations to the Rio WebFest Awards and Official Opening, should be exchanged on the respective days of the events for a ticket. This exchange will be held at the City of Arts box office until 4pm.
19. Please arrive early to ensure your ticket because all spaces are subject to stocking.
19. By submitting to RIOWF, you hereby agree to the use your image and small excerpts of your work to promote the festival in trailers, teasers and live coverage of the festival on live streaming and social media such as Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and regular television.